April 25, 2013

Bottle Cap Fish


Several weeks ago I sent home a "homework" sheet with my 3rd & 4th graders.  The sheet explained that we'd be creating some bottle cap fish...and I was looking for the best design. To my surprise...over half of the students returned the sheets within the next few days.  A bigger surprise was about 30 of them were AMAZING!  To narrow them down...I looked at how easy it would be to "translate" the drawings into the bottle cap version.  Then I looked for the most unique designs.  I came with these three.  I placed the drawing under my Ladybug...and traced them onto insulation foam using a sharpie.  I then did a quick coat of acrylic paint so the students knew what colors to use.  During class I called up a few tables at a time to work for a couple minutes putting caps onto the fish.  The used craft/tacky glue(knowing it would not go outside).  I love them!!  The one girl really wants to take "her" fish home when I'm done with it.  I told her I didn't know if I'd be "done" with it! ha ha  





6 comments:

  1. Nice! I have TONS of bottle caps left over from the Starry Night mural we did during YAM. Over the summer I work the extended day program during July at school for three hours a day and I think we're going to do some outside murals to put in the school yard. Love the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you cut the insulation foam? Scissors, saw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a knife...but you can get a hot knife...they are amazing...smelly...but cut like butter!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I love this idea and have a few questions. I am teaching 16 kids (age 7-15) at an At Risk Kids program (subsidizing housing/meals etc.). I want to know: if foam board from crafts store would work (or another inexpensive substrate)? And would Elmers work for the glue? There isn't a supply budget at the center but they do have Emer's and would Tempered paint work, as they also have that?? IF I HAD to use insulation board from a home improvement store, could Elmer's and Tempered paint work on that too - thinking of either substrate to be no more than ~11" x 14" as they all live in apts. Thanks for the post and would appreciate with my questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elmers will NOT work. It dries very hard/brittle & the caps will pop off!! Do not try it...trust me..I learned the hard way. Tacky/craft glue will work if you use an ample amount. The flat foam core board from Dollar Tree might work, but it may also bend/warp as you put the glue on it...and if you were to paint it...it will surely warp!! Insulation foam is about $15 for a 8 ft x 4ft sheet. Tempera paint will flake off. Foam board or insulation foam are both slick surfaces...and tempera needs a "tooth" to stick to. Sorry I can't give you cheaper way.

      Delete